Vol. 24 Nbr. 4, November 1987
> SIGN UP FREE
- 'A greater solidarity among nations....' (excerpts from Secretary-General Javier Perez de Cuellar's views, reports & statements) (transcript)
- 10 billion by the year 2087? Fertility decline is essential, says Population Fund report.
- Asia: reaching maturity; population programmes start to yield results.
- Committee on Information adopts 48 recommendations after considering two sets of proposals.
- Council for Namibia sues Netherlands over Namibia's natural resources.
- Economic and Social Council reviews world economic and social policy, calls for measures to combat AIDS.
- Educating the 'most beautiful children in the world.' (Nepal's Primary Education Project)
- Forty-second General Assembly opens in hopeful atmosphere of increasing multilateral co-operation.
- Further progress on chemical weapons ban, other "promising developments", reported.
- Gap on time-frame for withdrawal of troops shortened but not bridged.
- High priority asked for projects to increase capabilities for dealing with natural disasters.
- In Africa, hope and difficulties; training nurses in Angola and teaching young men responsible parenthood in Seychelles.
- International commitment to reallocate military expenditures for development reaffirmed.
- Lack of political commitment hampering population progress in Latin America; uncontrolled growth of cities and aging becoming serious problems.
- Middle Eastern countries try to strike a balance; some poor and overpopulated, others rich but lacking manpower.
- Sea Law Commission registers India as first pioneer investor: three other states to be registered by end of 1987.
- Secretary-General discusses 'outline plan' during trip to Teheran, Baghdad.
- Security Council demands immediate cease-fire as first step towards negotiated settlement of Iran-Iraq war.
- Security Council extends UNIFIL mandate until 31 January 1988, reiterates support for Lebanon's territorial integrity.
- Seventh UNCTAD adopts Final Act by consensus.
- Society and the disabled.
- Special commission on UN work in economic and social fields meets in New York.
- Triumph or threat? The birth of a baby boy in Yugoslavia is cause for celebration and concern.
- Wat Phou: a miracle waiting to happen.
- World Development Report - 1987.