10. Personnel welfare facilities
Personnel welfare facilities
10.1. General provisions
1. Adequate personnel welfare facilities should be pro-
vided and be available at all times to portworkers at or near
the area in which they work.
2. Toilet facilities, washing facilities, cloakrooms, mess
rooms, canteens, hiring halls, waiting rooms and any other
personnel welfare facilities should be:
— suitably located and of an appropriate size and
— fully enclosed, if on shore;
— provided with floors, walls and ceilings that are easy to
— well ventilated and lighted, and, if necessary, heated or
— equipped appropriately for their purpose;
— in the charge of a responsible person;
— maintained in a clean, sanitary and orderly condition;
— protected against rats and other vermin.
10.2. Toilet facilities
1. Suitable and sufficient toilet facilities should be pro-
vided for the use of all portworkers.
2. All toilet facilities should comply with national
health and hygiene requirements and be fitted out in ac-
cordance with local custom.
3. Toilet facilities should be located at regular inter-
vals, as far as is practicable, throughout the port area. The